Notice the blue, green and white logo at the top of this post? Did you read what appears below Brica? Simple, really. Making together better.
As a seasoned parent, I like to think I have some knowledge of that concept. Making together better. If you haven’t figured it out, I think the word seasoned sounds much better than mature or older. Advanced maternal age. Ugh. Oh how I disliked that term in my last two rounds of being pregnant. Yes, I got it. It was written all over my chart.
Having been through the ‘new mom’ thing four times within the span of two decades, I can easily claim ‘been there, done that.’
Know what I’ve noticed? Those spontaneous moments you steal away with your family are truly some of the best times, best memory-making opportunities you’ll acquire along the parenting journey. Seize them. Appreciate them. Repeat them. Here’s a sampling of what I’m talking about and I hope you can say you’ve experienced at least a few of these moments with your family. If not, go make them happen. The more simple, the better.
1. Sing silly songs in the car.
2. See your child’s eyes light up when you say, “I’ll race you to the swings!” Then do it. But let them win. At least once. And all through the giggles, surprise them even more by jumping on a swing and showing them how it’s done.
3. Eat dessert before dinner.
4. Build a blanket and pillow fort in the great room together. Bonus points if you sleep there too.
5. Play charades.
6. Have a hula hoop contest.
7. Dance in your back yard. Do the limbo.
8. Go on a scavenger hunt in your town. This is a terrific way to see things you probably haven’t noticed yet.
9. Ask them to read YOU a bedtime story.
10. Go ahead, let them give their favorite stuffed animal a bubble bath in the tub. Those things need a good scrubbing.
You get the idea. Most importantly, don’t get into the habit of telling your family “maybe tomorrow.”
* This post was inspired by Brica, a sponsor of a professional development conference I’m attending next month called Type-A Parent. I’m excited to attend for the first time. I’d be thrilled if my post is selected for a grand prize the company is offering, full sponsorship of the conference. I love how their motto inspired me to share the little things we can start today to help us make together better. You can find them on Facebook here and follow @Brica on Twitter. I do.
I’d love to hear your ideas of how you are making together better. I’ll read them after I have dessert before dinner with my family tonight. I’m feeling like it might be ice cream! Or maybe a shake. To share.